When was the last time that you searched for something you were planning to buy on the internet? Did it seem like suddenly advertising for that thing you researched began to appear everywhere? Well it was not your imagination. Remarketing techniques are officially here!
What exactly is remarketing? Simply said, remarketing is a technique used by online advertisers to “follow” users who have searched a specific keyword and visited a website as a result. Then, marketers show them advertising related to their search via other websites. For example, go to Google and search for tires for your car. You may click on a local provider to check availability, price and location to purchase your new tires. Immediately, you will begin to see advertisements for tires on search engines, social networks and other websites. This is called remarketing.
While this method may seem a little disconcerting, it works wonders for converting website traffic into real bottom line results. After all, even if you can bring someone to your website, 97% of first time visitors do not actually convert to sale. According to Marketo, a leading provider of marketing automation software, 70% of visitors to your website will eventually buy from the site if they are properly nurtured. Below is an example of a lead generation nurturing program we often use at Plumb Marketing through our Response Builder program.
- Create a direct mail piece with a compelling offer, visually stimulating artwork and trackable call to action (like a dedicated phone number or a coupon code.)
- Build a website landing page that corresponds to your offer and include the web address on the direct mail piece.
- Collect (or purchase) a list of ideal prospects for your offer.
- Send out mailer with a call to action and a reason to visit your special web address.
- Run a Google Adwords program targeting visitors to your website.
- Upload your list by name and zip code to Facebook Power Editor to run targeted ads on the social network with similar branding and offer.
- Test, track and adjust the placement, timing and offer of your program.
If you think about marketing practices of the past, this is not really a new concept. We are just using different technology. Once upon a time, a brand would place advertising in the newspaper, radio, TV and use direct mail to create brand recollection, trust and eventually sales. Today’s world of marketing still uses some of these methods. However, with remarketing, we can now base our campaigns on behavior (like a click) as well as zip code.
Considering a remarketing program for your next direct mail campaign? Contact us for a demo of our Response Builder program and begin to see higher ROI on your marketing programs!