Direct mail campaigns are a time-tested way of reaching potential customers and spreading the word about your business. However, as with any marketing strategy, simply sending out mailers may not be enough to get the desired results. Every marketing dollar should yield a return, and a direct mail campaign is no exception.
To make sure you are getting a return-on-investment, here are a few tips to make your business’s direct mail campaign more effective.
1. Get personal: People are more likely to respond to direct mail if it’s tailored specifically to them. Use your customer data to personalize your mailers with their names, past purchases, or other relevant information. This will make the recipient feel seen and valued by your business.
Up-to-date lists are the best way to ensure your information lands in the right hands and avoids expensive delivery errors. Working with a professional direct mail company helps to keep your message relevant and delivered correctly the first time.
2. Make it eye-catching: Your mailer needs to stand out in a sea of other pieces of mail. Keep your message and call-to-action simple. Use bold colors with contrast and easily readable fonts. Consider interesting shapes or unique textures to grab the recipient’s attention. It is also eye-catching when it is targeted and personalized as our own names naturally draw our attention.
3. Include a call-to-action: Your mailer should prompt the recipient to take action, and it should be easy to do. Consider a QR code that takes them exactly where you want them to go online. Or, it could be a phone number prominently displayed for a phone call to place an order.
A tracking phone number, vanity URL or landing page are all ways to help make it easy to respond, while also being able to track results.
4. Follow up: Don’t expect immediate results from your direct mail campaign. Some recipients may need a few nudges before they take action. Consider sending follow-up mailers or even making phone calls to follow up on your initial mailing.
Studies have shown that more direct mail campaigns get traction around the 4th consistently timed mail drop. Be prepared for the long game and then you will start seeing predictable results.
5. Track, Test, and Optimize: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different approaches to your direct mail campaign. Test different designs, messaging, or calls-to-action to see what works best. Use data to evaluate the success of each mailing and make adjustments accordingly.
If you aren’t tracking your results, you can’t make them better, and frankly, you are wasting your marketing dollars. Tracking should be easy and as automated as possible for real-time results. Working with a professional marketing and/or direct mail provider allows this to happen.
By following these tips, you can make your business’s direct mail campaign more effective and reach more potential customers. Direct mail can and should be an important tool in your marketing campaign.
Interested in learning more specifically how a professionally managed direct mail campaign can work for your business? Contact Plumb Marketing today to get started!