In the 20+ years that we have been providing direct mail services, 16 of these years included a postal increase of some sort.* With rising costs for everything from labor to paper, it is to be expected that the price of a stamp would go up as well. 2019 will be no different with the largest ever price increase for stamps, taking a first class stamp from $.50 to $.55, a 10% increase.**
Effective Sunday, January 27, 2019, the USPS has been approved by the Postal Regulatory Commission to raise their prices. Here are a few highlights that may affect you:
- First Class Mail letter (1oz.) postage purchased at the post office increases from $.50 to $.55.
- Additional ounces added to a First Class Mail letter actually GOES DOWN, costing only an extra $.15 rather than $.21 in 2018.
- First Class Flats and Large Envelopes will go unchanged, remaining at $1.00 initial, $.15 for each additional ounce.
- Postcard rates remain unchanged at $.35.
- Priority Mail Express flats increases by an average of 3.9% depending on size, zone and location
Note: USPS rates are subject to determination based on weight, mail class and shape. For more details on other types of postal rate increases, visit Stamps.com for a comprehensive list. https://blog.stamps.com/2018/10/19/usps-announces-postage-rate-increase-starts-january-27-2019/
A couple of fun facts related to the new year at the USPS:
- The New Forever stamp will be dedicated to entertainer Gregory Hines, the 42nd stamp in the Black Heritage series.
- The Year of the Boar Forever stamp, available later this month, finishes out the 12 year Lunar New Year series.
- Walt Whitman is being honored as the 32nd stamp in the Literary Arts series on the 200th anniversary of his birth.
- To see these and other new stamps for 2019, visit https://about.usps.com/newsroom/national-releases/2018/pr18_095.htm
Need assistance calculating postage for your e-commerce organization or next direct mail campaign? Contact Plumb Marketing. And Happy 2019!
* History of postal increases – Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_United_States_postage_rates
** USPS Wins Approval for Largest-Ever Price Increase for Stamps – Government Executive – https://www.govexec.com/management/2018/11/usps-wins-approval-largest-ever-price-increase-stamps/152797/
*** USPS Postage Rates – Stamps.com – https://www.stamps.com/usps/current-postage-rates/